Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Gays in Sports

Sports Illustrated has an interesting article and fascinating survey result regarding sports and homosexuality. Of note:
  • 22% feel "uncomfortable" when around homosexuals.
  • 27% say that greater acceptance of gays and lesbians would be a bad thing for the country
  • 40% of Americans have an unfavorable opinion of gay men and 36% have an unfavorable opinion of lesbian women.
Also this piece of analysis:
Consider that of 979 people interviewed, 86% agreed that it is O.K. for male athletes to participate in sports, even if they are openly gay, yet nearly a quarter of the respondents agreed that having an openly gay player hurts the entire team. "It was like, I'm O.K. with this, but if you press me, I have some doubts," says Doug Schoen, whose firm, Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates, conducted the poll.
The article and survey lead up to the documentary on boxer Emile Griffith.

It reminds of an exchange a few week ago with Gou Peng on homosexuality. To his knowledge, no one he knows is gay, though apparently his uncle is a fan of a gay caberet singer. He's young, so all he knows is what's said in school and on tv, which is mostly negative, but I guess it also goes for nearly 40% of America who don't personally know anyone gay.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

fag.

Thursday, 14 April, 2005  
Blogger Sam Teigen said...

I suppose this could be threatening. But coming from an anonymous, whiffle-cajones crank, too scared to attach their name, it speaks volumes. You’re a bigot, but you’re more concerned with how the world will judge you than the judgment you levy on me. Keep to the tee ball insults, you obviously can’t hit a flying target.

Thursday, 14 April, 2005  
Blogger Steve said...

I've heard the argument from straight athletes that fears of being "checked out" in the locker room would lead to discomfort for other team members. I can understand why this would be a hard thing for some men to deal with, especially those with low self-esteem.

My friend Greg Brister, no homophobe he, once said, "Vanity knows no gender". I agree wholeheartedly. At my age, I'm flattered by any attention I receive, male or female--all the same, Laurie doesn't have to worry.

Thursday, 14 April, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home