Monday, May 23, 2005

There will be snacks!

Whitney, my super awesome lady-companion in crime treated us to the Andrew Bird show last night at Southpaw. In short the show was amazing and wonderful. I realize this says little about the music, so here is the longer take:

Bird’s songs are richly layered compositions of violin plucking, bowing, xylophone, whistling, percussion, guitar and vocal. But on stage he was accompanied by a percussionist. Bird plays the rest of the music himself by creating loops of live music. Often he’ll start by plucking out a simple rhythm on violin, then as the measure loop back, he’ll add texture, counterpoint, harmony, until the constructed loop is rich and complex. Then he sings, whistles and plays guitar over the loop, and stopping the loop to change the tempo, only to resume with more energy. It has some of Philip Glass’ repetition, but

Add to this a strong, confident stage presence, beautiful and engaging voice, making his show the kind of show I hope I find when I’m 50 or 60. It is intelligent, well constructed, surprising music that I think exhibits how much rock music has/can evolve.

I often think of the challenge for contemporary classical music, and especially new composition. Increasingly I think it’s becoming a chamber discipline with few practitioners and few patrons, trapped in sea of atonal compositions hard to distinguish from one another. Meanwhile popular music continues to fragment and change in exciting ways. Movies are frequently scored by popular musicians, who deftly capture the moods of a%2

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Brian J said...

Sam,

Hot! I've had some of Andrew's earlier work with Bowl of Fire on heavy rotation the past few weeks. Some old roommate's clued me in to him.

You forgot to mention that Andrew himself is a total cutie.

Thanks for the Hazzards EP, by the way. You totally rock!

Tuesday, 24 May, 2005  
Blogger Sam Teigen said...

Yeah yeah yeah, By the way, Andrew Bird is a handsome charismatic fellow... I haven't heard the Bowl of Fire stuff, but I'll have to check it out!

Whitney read that he pictures his music as a blob that he can shape.. a little more "C" and a little less "A-Flat"...

I'm glad you got the CD so speedily! The mail's not so snaily afterall.

Tuesday, 24 May, 2005  
Blogger Brian J said...

Lightening fast, apparently.

And while you're checking out the old stuff, I'll have to check out the new. It's hard to keep with everything, you know?

Wednesday, 25 May, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a link for sam...toilety goodness (sorry couldn't find your email address):

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/household/new-toilet-roundup-105055.php

Thursday, 26 May, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home