Friday, August 03, 2007

100% Walkable


I've never owned a car* so it's been important for me to have good public transportation and walkable options where ever I've lived. After years of living in Brooklyn, I've managed to connect many neighborhood on foot. Walk Score is a site that scores an address for walkability. I thought the contrast between where I live now and where I grew up to be fascinating: 100 to 28.

One of the great stories of my adolescence was how in 7th or 8th grade (Mount Olive Lutheran parochial school) I was sent home by my teacher/principal for wearing shorts on a hot day. I ended up walking the whole way home (West Des Moines to South side, 10 miles) over the course of the day.




*I have made prodigious use of parental vehicles though.

Via Swissmiss

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger PATCH said...

That's a pretty smart site, except in my hood it identifies all the Dunkin Donutz but can't find the good coffeeshops.

Thursday, 09 August, 2007  
Blogger Clark ov Saturn said...

nice one, sam!
I'd love to see Google Maps or MapQuest do a bicycle version - with best routes for biking as an option to select. I recently visited Boston and attempted to bike across town to a store, and I made it but it was very tough given the difference between what you see on a basic map and on the real road...
cheers,
clark

Tuesday, 18 September, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home