Monday, September 18, 2006

Sik Muniz

Vik Muniz: Atalanta and Hippomenes, after Guido Reni (Pictures of Junk) 2006

Fall has returned, not because were in mid September, but that the calendar of things to see quickly filled up.

Friday Jen and I saw People Speak at 45 Below. People Speak is a staged presentation of Howard Zinn's Voices of a People's History of the United States and is part of the Impact Festival.

Saturday I met Joe and Gretchen to catch a few gallery shows. First I wanted to make sure Joe saw Richard Serra's show at Gagosian: Rolled and Forged. I posted a few pics in Flickr.

Then we caught the show I was really looking forward to: Vik Muniz' Pictures of Junk. Last year I met Muniz when he gave a talk about his book Reflex. In the back room were his equally astonishing pictures of pigment. Though his art speaks for itself, there, was some icing: a time lapse film of Pictures of Junk being composed. This series took up area the size of a basketball court, requiring the photograph to proportionally higher. Leaving, I just shook my head, this stuff is just sick.... it's that good.

Then yesterday, I took in the Atlantic Antic with Gretchen. I met some folks who dig up old glass and other stuff from old Brooklyn cistern wells. Jen and Denise also had a table and scored an early long sleave Raeburn Ink tee.

Max and I went to Heathers for a 78 RPM Sunday, where Ethan spun some shellaced jazz from the 30s and 40s. I learned about Slim Gaillard in particular. Max, my 18-year old cousing from Rockland County, is staying with me this month to work as a bike messenger before heading off to Paris to do the same.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home