Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Yahoo! Free! (updated)

Malware is often defined by, among other things, browser hijacking, and unauthorized installation.

Today, when I got a notice of Yahoo! Messenger's new audio function, I downloaded it, and checked it out. I used to use MS Messenger for IM, but had been looking to eliminate my hotmail account. So I started using Yahoo last summer, and have been fine with it, though suspicious of it. I could tolerate the overuse of Flash, and I used the email for a Friendster profile for Joe Hill.

While installing the update, I noticed a lot more was being installed than I thought I agreed to. Then afterwards, my homepages were changed to Yahoo on both the browsers I used (an unable to change in IE), while also installing the Yahoo toolbar on both.

I didn't ask for this, I don't want it, and it really has nothing to do with instant messaging. In short I felt hijacked. Fortunately, Yahoo being a big public company, I was able to uninstall it all... and I mean it all. I'm not using Yahoo anymore, for anything.

Who have you stopped using?

(Update 9/2/05: Cnet had this article on Yahoo's computer jacking:
Yahoo IM users get more than they bargained for so there you go.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home