Saturday, April 29, 2006

Previously Pressed: Tulips Are Great Reminders

Walking through Cadman Plaza this morning, admiring the early flowers reminded me of a poem I wrote many years ago. Then I remembered, that the poem was in the chapbook I made, Toggled, for which I coined 917press in the first place.

Why it took so long to realize that this blog is as good a venue for my poems as any, I can't say. Perhaps I'll get back into the swing of things with my poetry. Without further ado, the poem:

brothel

it was almost
obscene
the seduction
by my neighbor’s
tulips

at first
they puckered
for sweet kisses
as they woke
from winter

but soon they
were flashing me
in garishly bright colours
on dreary grey days
full of cold rains

the girls were
brazen enough
to lean towards me
voluptuous as they were
as I passed

petals spread open
rich with the bouquet
of their pollen
and the lingering
smell of rain

I admit it
I went out of my way
to see them

but as April became May
I found new romances
leaving the tulips
to scream at me
in disgust

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home